A YEAR OF PROGRESS: GENESIS’ FIRST YEAR IN CHINA
- Since Genesis officially launched its operations in China in April 2021, it has gained a foothold in the Chinese luxury market by targeting a new generation of luxury automotive buyer, “Generation Genesis.”
- Differentiators including the One Price Promise and the Genesis Partner Concept as well as unapparelled attention to customer service have set the brand apart.
- Genesis has positioned itself as a modern lifestyle brand including by partnering with Shanghai Fashion Week and by operating a restaurant which presents an unparalleled culinary experience
- In its first year, Genesis China has earned a number of prestigious awards: the China Design Car of the Year Award (G80), China MotorTrend Car of the Year (GV80) and Campaign’s PR Awards Asia Gold (“Year One” Campaign).
SEOUL, South Korea, July 20, 2022 — Genesis is looking back on a year of remarkable progress in the Chinese market, beginning with the brand’s official launch in Shanghai in April of last year. Since then, the brand has repeatedly drawn attention in China for its excellent, exquisitely designed products and its unique business model tailored to the local market.
Accolades for Genesis
In December, the Genesis G80 won the 2022 China Design Car of the Year Award, a prestigious honor in China’s automotive scene. In March, MotorTrend Magazine in China selected the GV80 as Car of the Year. And this year in June, PR Awards Asia 2022 by Campaign recognized Genesis’ “Year One” Campaign for its impact in communications, seizing the Gold award in the Automotive & Transport category.
Customer Experiences, Designed with Care
Genesis’ success is reflected in the care it puts into its customer experiences, including in its key differentiators:
- Customers can be assured of transparency in the purchasing journey thanks to China-tailored direct-to-consumer sales and One Price Promise.
- Through the Genesis Partner Concept, the brand engages in one-on-one communications with customers so they can receive dedicated attention and deep insight on products and services.
- Customers can enjoy convenient door-to-door Genesis Valet service on occasions ranging from test drives to maintenance checks.
- Customers in China can enjoy Genesis Care, which includes a 5-year or 100,000 km warranty and a 5-year unlimited mileage 24/7 roadside assistance across the Chinese mainland.
- A two-trim strategy, offering Luxury and Ultimate Luxury with an outstandingly high level of standardized specification, removes frustration from the vehicle selection process and offers customers the value for their needs.
A Succession of Firsts
2021 was a year of firsts for Genesis in China: The Electrified G80 made its world premiere at Auto Shanghai 2021 in April of that year. The world premiere of the Electrified GV70 followed in November. The strategic timing of the two electric vehicle launches — the brand’s first EV and its first electric SUV — prove the strength of its commitment to its Chinese customers.
Moreover, in April 2021 the brand established its first studio in China, Genesis Studio Shanghai. In May, Genesis Studio Chengdu became Genesis’ first studio in western China. In November, Genesis opened the Showcase Jing An, the brand’s first showcase providing both sales and after-sales services. Then, in December, the Genesis Showcase has also arrived in Chengdu.
This year has been just as exciting, with the April launch of Genesis Showcase Nanjing followed by two more breakthroughs in June: the brand’s first showcase in southern China, Genesis Showcase Guangzhou, as well as a Genesis Showcase and Boutique in Hangzhou.
The “Genesis of You” National Roadshow — with stops at Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing and other cities — is sure to boost awareness of the brand’s distinctive approach to customer service and hospitality. And each new Genesis location in China is a milestone.
Gaining a Foothold in a Promising Market
According to a study from the China Association of Automotive Manufacturers written in Jan 2022, the total number of vehicles sold in China is expected to reach 27.5 million in 2022, an increase of 5.4 percent year-on-year. Of those vehicles, 5 million are expected to be new energy vehicles — an increase of more than 47 percent year-on-year. China’s automotive market is growing at a rapid pace, with legacy foreign luxury car brands and fast-emerging domestic electric vehicle manufacturers competing fiercely for market share. Following the global debut of the Genesis Electrified G80 at Shanghai Auto Show and The Genesis Electrified GV70 at Auto Guangzhou last year, Genesis is aiming to bring more new energy vehicles excitements to the China market shortly. Aiming to prove that Genesis targets to be a leader, and not a follower in new energy vehicle segment, and will stand with its new vision of sustainable luxury.
Genesis’ new approach in China has helped it to reach a new generation of luxury automotive buyer, which it has defined as “Generation Genesis”. This unique group of individuals, who are younger than the average automotive buyer, are lifestyle-focused and have an appreciation for excellent design. They are constantly seeking unique experiences and have high expectations for customer service, and want to invest in brands that help to define them as individuals. As a design brand that offers innovative and meaningful experiences, Genesis offers the perfect match.
The brand has also taken its design philosophy into the fashion world and positioned itself as a modern lifestyle brand by partnering with Shanghai Fashion Week. Now in its second year, the partnership has raised Genesis’ profile through innovative explorations of fashion and design. Not only that, but the Genesis Restaurant on the second floor of the Genesis Studio Shanghai offers an exclusive dining experience inspired by traditional Korean cuisine, further evidence of the brand’s strong lifestyle element and willingness to create unforgettable experiences.
Although COVID-19 lockdowns have affected China’s entire automotive industry, and global supply issues have aggravated the situation, Genesis moves ahead in developing its presence in the local market. In its first year, the brand has focused on becoming well known and distinguishing itself from competitor brands as a different kind of auto luxury. Now, it has shared its unique vision, it has the perfect foundation on which to continue building its brand and expanding its footprint in China.
Genesis Media CenterMedia Inquiriespr@genesis.comSouth Korea
MORE FROM NEWS
SUBSCRIBE TO RSS FEEDXML
GENESIS UNVEILS X GRAN BERLINETTA VISION GRAN TURISMO CONCEPT AT GT WORLD SERIES WORLD FINALS IN BARCELONA
SANGHYUN PARK WINS IN TWO-HOLE PLAYOFF AT 2023 GENESIS CHAMPIONSHIP
GENESIS G80 AND ELECTRIFIED G80 JOIN 2024 LINEUP WITH IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ DESIGNATION
GENESIS UNVEILS NEWLY DESIGNED GV80 AND GV80 COUPE